1) Business Meetings 1 (10/5 hrs)
Identify the importance of meeting
Discuss different types of meetings. : informal, formal, large group, a meeting of four to five of the people involved, One to one meeting
Types of Activities :
Look at the problem and decide what kind of meeting is the best way of dealing with each one.
Eg: The board required a report on your department’s long term plans over the next 10 years.
There is to be a company picnic next month and everything has to be planned and organized. You are a participant of the meetings discussed above. What would you say to express your point of view, make objections, ask for opinion to end a meeting.
2) Writing reports and summaries (10/5 hrs)
Criteria for writing reports
Types of Reports
- Trip Report
- Progress Report
- Lab Report
- Feasibility / Recommendation Reports
- Incident Reports Investigative reports
- Meeting – Minutes
- Pre writing
- Re writing
3) The Summary (10/5 hrs)
Criteria for writing summaries
- Overall Organization
- Internal Organization
- Audience Recognition
- Grammar and Mechanisms
Eg: Listen to a conversation recording of a meeting between two people. Answer questions based on it. After Understanding the conversation draft a summary.
4) Advertisements and commercials (10/5 hrs)
- Cut out your favorite advertisement from a news paper . Prepare a short presentation covering the following points. (Target customers, how it works in terms of promoting the product attracting attention , arousing interests, creating a desire, encourage to take prompt action.)
- Describe favourite TV commercials to your partner. Say why you think they are effective,
5) Selling and buying product (10/5 hrs)
You in the buying department of your company. Decide in what terms, price, condition etc you are prepared to buy a product, make notes, negotiate with the seller.
You are the chief buyer for a company. Find one from a salesman the following.
About a product : wholesale price, recommended retail price, how quickly the goods can be shipped, how each item is packed, where the product is manufactured.
Procedure: Look at the new words in a dictionary. Practice the necessary expressions. Write the necessary notes
before enacting the situation.
6) Travelling on business (10/5 hrs)
- Making reservations – flights and at a restaurant. Speak over the phone. Send a fax
- Meeting or being met : role play eg: a foreign business person arriving at the local airport and the other person is waiting to welcome him. Role play the whole scene up to leaving the airport.
- Write a list of advice which might be given to foreign visitor.
- Tell a visitor about office routines in our country: working hours , holidays, relationships between the boss and employees , recreational and sport facilities for staff officers.
Eg 1 : Make a telephone call to colleague in another department , inquiring whether you can bring the visitor to see him or her.
Eg 02: Write a memo asking your boss to give the visitor a brief explanation of your firm’s activities.
Eg 03: Draft a fax to the visitor informing the date abd the time you propose for the visitor / or phone her / him.
7) Practical Component ( Assignment)
- Design a questionnaire to be used to interview persons in a company / hotel.
- Collect information about their work, daily routine etc.
- Present your findings to your colleagues and organize the information and write a report.